Sometimes you just want to get away from it all, get a change in scene, and forget your usual life. Just a short trip can reinvigorate you and make you more productive. A key factor when you look at a quick escape is accessibility from the city – you don’t want to spend most of your time off on the road travelling.
Seeing how you are strapped for time, we’ve compiled a list of quickies you can take from Mumbai. (Most of them are close enough from Pune too.)
Here’s our top 10 – now all you need to do is pick one, back your bags, and head out!
1. Bhandardhara – Nestled in the Sahyadri Range, it is a treat for nature lovers. The gorgeous mountain ranges, the roaring waterfall, and lush greenery as far as the eye can see. Go boating in Arthur Lake, and drench yourself under Randha Falls. For the adventure seekers, a gentle trek will take you to Ratangad and Harishchandragad Forts, or if that seems too easy, then Maharashtra’s highest peak Mount Kalsubai awaits you. Pay your respects at the small temple at the summit before admiring the panoramic feast for your eyes.
2. Nashik – Going from one city to another might not be your idea of a getaway, but then look at what this small city has to offer. It is the wine capital of the country, and a visit to one of the vineyards is a perfect option for a lazy weekend. Learn how wine is made at the Sula Vineyards, sample a few of the varieties, and feast on some yummy food at the restaurants. You can pluck some grapes off the vine and extract juice the traditional way – by stomping on it in a barrel.
3. Alibaug – Alibaug is the getaway for all seasons. There are numerous resorts on the coastal stretch for those who want to relax and for those who don’t it’s the starting point for many treks like the ones to Sagargad and Sarjekot Fort. If you want some peace and quiet then Akshi Beach is the place to go. The beautiful sandy beach is a favourite for movie shoots as well – you keep an eye out for your favourite actors. Once you’re ready for some action, just walk over to the adjacent Nagaon, or the more popular Alibaug beach for some water sports.
4. Murud Janjira – If you are a history buff, then this is a must-see for you. This intimidating fort resides on its own island with the waters of the Arabian Sea battering it from all sides. It was so formidable that it was the only fort along India’s Western coast that remained undefeated. Don’t miss the other ruins that were once part of the fort in its glory days. Northwards from the palace lies a lake which is a sight to behold. Feel your pride go up a few notches as you explore this part of our glorious history. On the way to Murud, stop at the lighthouse near Korlai Fort. A little tip will earn you a guided tour.
5. Silvassa – This tiny township, just 4 hours away from Mumbai beckons travellers with its lush greenery, blue waters, spectacular waterfalls, historical sites, and wildlife. See the majestic lion in its natural habitat at the Lion Safari Park without having to go all the way to Gir. Head on and pay your respects at the Church of Our Lady of Piety, or go for a picnic at the Vanganga Lake. You can even catch a glimpse of Warli tribal life at the Tribal Museum and take home some tribal handicrafts.